Klopp praises young gun Gudogan

Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp has been surprised by Ilkay Gundogan, who has come on leaps and bounds this season.

The Germany midfielder has become a crucial part of the BVB side after a meagre start to life at the Westfalenstadion following his 2011 move from Nurnberg, and the former Mainz boss is thrilled with the way his charge has developed.

Back then, Ilkay was virtually still an advanced youth player. He had only just finished his school exams. We recognised his abilities early on, Klopp told Bild.

But the fact he is so good has surprised us. In a very good team, Ilkay has come on leaps and bounds.

He has the necessary calm, the eye (for a pass) and the vision. Ilkay now sees bigger spaces, and can also find them with long balls. Further…

Guangzhou tempt J-League defector

Guangzhou Evergrande have announced the signing of South Korean international Kim Young-Gwon from Omiya Ardija.

The 22-year-old will join the defending Chinese Super League (CSL) champions on a four-year contract for a transfer fee of two million Euros, making him by far the highest-priced departure from the J-League so far this season.

The versatile defender first came to Japan in 2010, when he played for FC Tokyo before joining Omiya Ardija.

Kim made his international debut in 2010, and was recently selected to represent his country at the Olympic Games.

Kim s transfer was heavily supported by Evergrande manager Marcelo Lippi although he appears to be a consolation signing for the club after the Asian Champions League quarter-finalists failed to pull …

Rumour Has It: Eriksen prefers PSG move to Premier League

Arsenal were offered the service of the former Spurs playmaker but the Gunners have other priorities, according to the English newspaper.

Despite talk about a return to England, Eriksen is said to be planning to hold out for Ligue 1 champions PSG, who may be lining up a January swoop.

ROUND-UP

 Arsenal want Stade Reims striker Boulaye Dia to solve their goalscoring issues, a report claims. Le10Sport reports the Senegal international has been identified as a Gunners target, but Everton, Marseille and Lyon are also said to be in the hunt.

Mikel Arteta s side may also soon have another option in midfield. Spanish media outlet Marca is reporting that Atletico Madrid are planning on cutting Lucas Torreira s loan arrangement short in January after the Urugu…

Klopp ´couldn´t feel better´ after ´exceptional´ Liverpool go top

Jurgen Klopp said he couldn t feel better after exceptional Liverpool beat Tottenham 2-1 to go top of the Premier League.

Spurs looked set to remain at the summit on goal difference with a draw, but Roberto Firmino headed a 90th-minute winner at Anfield to put the champions three points clear.

Son Heung-min equalised seven minutes after Mohamed Salah gave the injury-hit Reds a deserved first-half lead, but Firmino ended Tottenham s 11-match unbeaten run in the top flight.

Spurs felt the Brazil striker s winner should have been ruled out for a foul by Jordan Henderson on Eric Dier before Firmino rose to meet Andy Robertson s header and words were exchanged between Jose Mourinho and Klopp after the final whistle.

Steven Bergwijn hit the post and missed an…

I have nothing to prove – Bale

Real Madrid star Gareth Bale insists he pays no attention to his critics and stated he has nothing to prove.

The forward has been the main focus of scorn from the Spanish media and Real supporters following the capital club s difficult start to 2015, with the former Tottenham man s car damaged after the 2-1 Clasico defeat against Barcelona.

However, Bale gave a timely reminder of the talent that saw Real shell out a club-record fee for his services in September 2013 with a starring role in Wales 3-0 victory against Israel in Saturday s Euro 2016 qualifying contest.

The 25-year-old set up Aaron Ramsey for the first, before scoring twice in the second half in Haifa.

I don t need to answer the critics,  Bale said.

I know, and everyone around me …

Derby swoop for Best

Derby County have completed the signing of Blackburn Rovers striker Leon Best on a season-long loan deal.

The 27-year-old moved to Ewood Park for a reported £3million fee in July 2012, but suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury soon after joining the Lancashire club.

Best failed to establish himself as a starter at Blackburn when he returned to fitness and he was shipped out on loan to fellow Championship side Sheffield Wednesday in February, where he scored four goals in 15 league outings.

The former Newcastle United man had been linked with a return to Hillsborough, but Derby who lost to QPR in May s Championship play-off final soon emerged as favourites for his signature.

I m extremely pleased that we have been able to sign Leon Best on loan f…

Napoli’s Mannini banned for a year

Italian side Napoli will be without midfielder Daniele Mannini until January 2010. The player received a year-long ban for arriving late at a drug test in December 2007.

The 25-year-old, at the time playing for Brescia, expected a light punishment but the international sports tribunal decided differently. The same situation applies to Davide Possanzini, who missed the same drug test.

Mannini joined Napoli in January 2008, and scored two goals in ten appearances so far.

Reina: Casillas is the best goalkeeper

Pepe Reina knows that he and Iker Casillas will be watched closely when Real Madrid play Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday, but thinks there is not much difference between the two teams.

We will be compared as people speak about me and him, but it is not about Casillas and Reina, it is Real Madrid and Liverpool in the Champions League, he told AS. He was without doubt the best goalkeeper of 2008. He is the best in the world, but I think there is little difference between the best keepers.

The two teams are very similar and small details could decide the tie. I think Madrid are more confident now and more organised, he continued.

Milan players have a ´fire burning inside´ – Pioli hails table-topping Rossoneri

Stefano Pioli says his Milan players have a fire burning inside after they ensured they would end 2020 at the Serie A summit with a last-gasp 3-2 win over Lazio.

Ante Rebic s header and a penalty from Hakan Calhanoglu put the Rossoneri 2-0 up inside 17 minutes at San Siro, but the visitors roared back with goals from Luis Alberto and Ciro Immobile, who had a penalty saved prior to the Spaniard s goal.

Theo Hernandez powered home a header in stoppage time, though, restoring Milan s one-point lead at the top after neighbours Inter had temporarily leapfrogged them following a 2-1 win over Hellas Verona earlier on Wednesday.

The win was the Rossoneri s 10th in 14 league games this season and Pioli does not want his side to relent when they return to action after the …

Saka claims he meant Mendy lob – ´I saw him off his line!´

Bukayo Saka insisted his audacious lob over Edouard Mendy in Arsenal s 3-1 win over Chelsea was fully intentional.

Saka put Arsenal 3-0 up 11 minutes into the second half at Emirates Stadium, lofting a delicate finish over Mendy and in off the left-hand upright.

Aiming to end a seven-match winless streak in the Premier League, Arsenal had gone ahead on Boxing Day thanks to Alexandre Lacazette s penalty, and Granit Xhaka s free-kick doubled their lead.

Tammy Abraham s improvised finish pulled one back for Chelsea, with Jorginho s penalty miss subsequently ensuring Arsenal avoided a nervy finish and ended their dismal run.

It was not clear as to whether Saka meant his finish, but asked if he did, the youngster told BBC Sport there was no doubt.

I s…